WHY GO ON A 21 DAY FAST?
It’s one thing to know about God— it’s a different thing to be known by God. Prayer and fasting are powerful ways to prepare to receive His presence, and all that He has planned for your life, as well as grow deeper in your walk with Him as you proclaim, More of you and less of me.
Ask yourself, “what am I allowing to come between me and God’s presence?” Imagine
the blessings He has for you when you prepare your heart and surrender it all to Him.
WHAT IS FASTING?
Fasting is to voluntarily abstain from eating/drinking for an extended period of time.
“Eating” and “drinking” can represent anything that is holding you back.
· What do you “consume” in terms of social food, intellectual food, spiritual food, and
· Are these things distracting you from your relationship with God?
· Are you relying on things that have nothing to do with God to get you through your
You may not even realize you have an addiction. For example, if you “have to have” coffee every day, and you are not willing to give it up, you are addicted. Maybe your fast needs to just be about coffee. Ask God and He will show you.
IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE YOU FAST
Everyone doing a physical fast should consult a physician first. If you have medical issues, consider fasting TV or media. The point is that there is something God wants you to separate yourself from for three weeks so that you can see Him more clearly. Don’t cheat yourself by removing yourself from the fast entirely.
FASTING GOAL: A PERSONAL ENCOUNTER WITH THE LIVING GOD
“He must increase and [we] must decrease.”
- John 3:30
“Be ye holy, for I am holy.” - 1 Peter 1:16
You may experience many benefits from fasting (cleansing your body, breaking addictions, etc.), but the goal of fasting is to experience God. Right now your life may be all about you, what you want, and when you want it. Imagine if you separate yourself from your perceived needs (such as food)…you may see that life is all about Him.
PREPARE YOUR HEART:
In 2 Chronicles 7:14
Don’t continue to sin. What are the paths He wants you to walk? How much does He want you to pray and read His Word? Tell God that you surrender your life to Him and that you want more of Him and His way.
PREPARE YOUR MOTIVES:
Ephesians 1:3 says that there are spiritual blessings assigned to us. We can never exhaust them! Who knows what God wants to give you or show you?
Prepare your body: If you decide to eat only fruits and vegetables for your fast, it will result in cleansing of your physical body. You may feel sick as your body detoxes, but you’ll make it!
PREPARE YOUR SCHEDULE:
Decide where you will meet with God,
what and when you will eat, and how you will spend your time differently. Create a plan and commit to spending more time with the Lord.
· Explain to your family in advance what you are doing.
· Never complain or brag about your fast, and avoid talking about it.
· Establish an accountability partner for prayer & encouragement.
· Spend as much time as possible alone in solitude and prayer.
· Acknowledge that your flesh cannot be trained, but must be crucified.
· Journal as you pray and meet with the Lord. Write down the miracles God does in your life!
TYPES OF FASTS
· Drinking only liquids, typically water and/or light juices.
· Broth or soup may be included as options.
Removing certain elements from your diet.
· The Daniel Fast - abstaining from meat, sweets, or bread; drink water and juice, and eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.
· Partial Fast (a.k.a. The Jewish Fast) Abstaining from eating any type of food in the morning and afternoon. Fast during specific times of the day, e.g. 6AM-3PM, or from sunup to sundown.
• Common for those with health issues that prevent them from fasting food;
Suggestions: abstain from engaging in social media, shopping, watching television, etc.